A present that will last a lifetime.
From a tea merchant's perspective, how you store tea is very important. Ippodo tea canisters are handmade by Kaikado, a specialist in producing utensils that preserve the flavour of tea. These canisters should be used by someone who truly appreciates Japanese tea. This set of one copper canister and one tin canister enables you to distinguish between two different types of tea. This is a good gift for auspicious occasions.
How do Ippodo staff use it?
The canisters can be used for storing things other than tea. They make a natural gift for auspicious occasions. This set is good as a gift for a family wedding.
Kaikado—tea canisters with functional beauty
Founded in 1875, Kaikado is the oldest maker of hand-made tea canisters (chazutsu, or tea caddies) in Japan, and is now the only such maker remaining. It takes over 130 separate steps to make one of Kaikado’s tea canisters, and every detail bears witness to the meticulous manufacturing and skill of the Kaikado artisans.
Double-wall structure and internal lid ensure airtightness
Double-wall structure with inner and outer walls as well as an internal lid. The can and lid are designed so that when you put the lid in place and take your hand away, the lid descends slowly of its own accord, as if to complete the engraved Ippodo seal. When all the excess air is expelled, the seal is complete.
Tea canisters that mature. Enjoy the changes over time.
Over the years, the colour and texture change, and the more the canister is used, the more it comes to fit the user’s hand. Enjoy the changes as time goes by. The canister takes between ten and thirty years to mature.
- Set of copper and tin tea canisters engraved with Ippodo seal (medium size)
- Box size : W20.8×D8.4× H12.9cm
- About Canister :
- Dimensions:Dia. 7.5× H8.1cm
- Capacity: 100 g of Ippodo gyokuro or sencha
- Note :
- The canisters are sold without tea. There is no tea in a new canister.
- The canister surfaces naturally change colour over time. Touching the canister with wet hands may also produce a blue-green patina on the surface.
* This patina is harmless and has no physiological effect.
* After buying your tea canister, please contact Kaikado directly if you have inquiries about the product, including requests for maintenance or repolishing.
* As the canisters are hand-made, production numbers are limited. At times, Ippodo may run out of stock or have to delay shipping.